At 1:38 PM -0800 1/19/06, Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes wrote:

>perlport says:
>
>C<-r>, C<-w>, C<-x>, and C<-o> tell whether the file is accessible,
>which may not reflect UIC-based file protections.  (VMS)
>
>but I'm not sure what it means by accessible there.

If, for example, I have elevated privileges that give me the ability
to write to a file even though the write bit is not set, -w returns
true.  Or if an executable program has all the execute permission
bits turned off but has an access control entry explicitly allowing
execute access to the holders of a particular identifier, and my
account has been granted that identifier, then -x returns true.  To
make a long story short, it's a true "can do" check rather than a
mere test of file protection bits.
Craig A. Berry
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

 difficult than getting in."