Craig A. Berry wrote:
At 8:15 PM -0500 1/21/06, John E. Malmberg wrote:
$ perl harness [.op]stat.t
[.op]stat....dubious
        Test returned status 12 (wstat 1024, 0x400)
                (VMS status is 12)
FAILED--1 test script could be run, alas--no output ever seen
%SYSTEM-F-ACCVIO, access violation, reason mask=00,
> virtual address=000000000000000C, PC=0000000000000012, PS=00000003

It turns out that the difference is whether the temporary file
Op_stat.tmp is present or not.  A failed run leaves four versions of
it sitting there.  The next run succeeds but cleans them all up.
Then the next run fails again.  It gets pretty far in the test
because it creates the four temp files successfully, but it returns
no output.  The accvio only happens when the test is run as a piped
subprocess.  It does not happen when the subprocess runs Perl under
the VMS debugger.  I do not see the failure with Compaq C V6.4-005 on
OpenVMS Alpha V7.2-1.  I do not see the failure with maintperl.
Suspects include recent changes to the stat structure and to exit
handling and to memory allocation and deallocation of the structures
used by pipes.

John, are you running on an unreleased version of VMS or of the CRTL?
What version of the compiler are you using?  There's not much
difference between v7.1 and v6.5 on Alpha, is there?

On this system, I am running OpenVMS 8.2 Alpha, no ECOs at the present time. I am still running the Compaq C 6.5 compiler.

I am not running a threaded Perl at the moment either.

EAGLE> perl harness [.op]stat.t
[.op]stat....dubious
        Test returned status 12 (wstat 1024, 0x400)
                (VMS status is 12)
FAILED--1 test script could be run, alas--no output ever seen
%SYSTEM-F-ACCVIO, access violation, reason mask=00, virtual address=000000000000000C, PC=0000000000000012, PS=00000003

Since I can reproduce this, I should be able to find out what the problem is.

-John
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Personal Opinion Only