At 1:42 PM +0000 2/9/06, Chris Sharman wrote:
>I tried to install VMS::IndexedFile with CPAN - it went into a CPU loop.
>I killed it, and tried again.
>It crashed with an out of memory error.
>
>I tried from the system account.
>I cleared the lock file, and tried installing the Bundle::CPAN it
>recommmended.
>This gave an RMS-F-SYN error, then spooled a large chunk of code to the
>terminal, then complained that makefile.pl was missing and tried to make it.
>It failed.
>VMS::IndexedFile now gave the same error.
>
>I installed VMS::IndexedFile manually.
>
>Is there something I need to do to make cpan install work ?

Port it.  There was a version of CPAN that worked on VMS a long time
ago, but it's a very large, complex, and rapidly changing package
that needs to know a lot about things like the local filesystem, and
probably assumes more than it should about such things.  Given the
relative ease of installing any given module manually and the
relative difficulty of getting CPAN working and keeping it working,
no one that I'm aware of has bothered to maintain CPAN on VMS.  There
is also now CPANPLUS, which I believe also awaits porting to VMS.

>Is VMS::IndexedFile the best/only way to read by key ? (it seems very
>old - version 0.02 from April 1999)

I've used it some with no issues.  The RMS API still works as it
always has, so I'm not aware of any reason the package would need
updating.
Craig A. Berry
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

 difficult than getting in."