Adam Kennedy wrote:
Hi guys

I've just (hand) merged the previously reported patch to add VMS support to Module::Install, and I've got a few questions.

Most of the items were ok, but I have a question regarding .author->_author.

Lets assume for the moment I'm not changing the default filename for now (mainly because I don't actually understand what it does yet) can someone tell me what is the VMS equivalent of:

-d 'inc/.author'

Is that to a configure parameter or as a parameter to a Perl program?

VMS will interpret 'inc/.author' as is in several ways.

If a logical name 'INC' exists, and no special features in the C library enabled, VMS will interpret it as 'inc:.author;'.

A logical name in VMS is used pretty much the same way a symbolic link is used in UNIX, except that logical names can be restricted in scope and sometimes locally overridden, and a logical name for a path can refer to multiple paths to be searched by the file system transparent to the application.

If the above logical name does not exist, VMS will interpret it as '[.inc].author;'

As long as there is not multiple dots in a name or other punctuation besides '-_' in it, VMS should handle the UNIX syntax just fine, except when issuing a shell command that expects VMS syntax.

On VAX or ODS-2 on Alpha, directory names can not have a leading "." or "-" character in their names, and support by Perl for that on ODS-5 on Alpha and Integrity is not yet complete in blead.

Be aware though that the leading "." has no special meaning in VMS on
a filename, if the intent is to make this a "hidden" file.

With that answered, I'll stamp a tentative "VMS compatible, maybe" on it for the next release (0.58) and then get you guys to try it out.

-John
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Personal Opinion Only