Samina wrote:

> I tried giving the username/password in the pathname and still the perl scipt
> fails.

> In my perl script I have a command

> open file A or die;

> So even now, with the username/password, it still dies when it tires to open
> the file.

> As I said eveything works fine from my VMS $promt.

This is peculiar. Try

$ DEFINE/PROCESS FILEA  (fullyqualifiedfilespec)

and then run the PERL script using "FILEA" instead of the filespec.

But at this point we'll be past my expertise, which is more VMS than PERL.

Do these things and show us the results:

$ write sys$output f$GETSYI("VERSION")
$ PERL "-v"
$ show log decc*

and maybe one of the gurus here will be able to diagnose.

-- Alan