"John E. Malmberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Hello,
> > We are currently porting our C/C++ code base to 64-bit.  So, we need
> > our in-house perl extensions to play nice.  We currently use a 32-bit
> > version of perl.  I am wondering if I should do the address space
> > mapping (lots of memcpy() and malloc32()) in our .XS files or if I
> > should build a 64-bit perl (likely 5.8.7).  I've tried googling for
> > 64-bit perl info but haven't turned up much.
>
> Is there some sort of space constraint that is forcing this conversion
> for your XS modules?

The space constraints are in our core code base.  Perl is getting
dragged in due to the XS files we have that reach into the core
system.

> Are you linking against or dynamically loading Perl shared images?

Dynamically loading.

> Perl on OpenVMS can be compiled to use 64 bit integers and off_t
> values with out using 64 bit pointers.  I have been building it with
> 64 bit off_t values.
>
> It can also be compiled to use 64 bit pointers.  I have not tried that
> option my self.  When using 64 bit pointers, it appears to still use
> routines that return pointers in the same range as for 32 bit pointers.

I'm now leaning toward leaving Perl as 32 bit for the time being and
dealing with the pointer issues in the XS files.

Thanks for your thoughts,
-Jason

--
Jason L. Almeter