Why does building Perl get upset if a logical UTIL is defined.
The description below suggests that you can redefine it at process level but
this doesnt help.

I am in the postion where we have a system logical UTIL which I _can_
undefine, but only if no one else is on the machine...

======
If you have any symbols or logical names in your environment that may
interfere with the build or regression testing of perl then configure.com
will try to warn you about them.  If a logical name is causing
you trouble but is in an LNM table that you do not have write access to
then try defining your own to a harmless equivalence string in a table
such that it is resolved before the other (e.g. if TMP is defined in the
SYSTEM table then try DEFINE TMP "NL:" or somesuch in your process table)
otherwise simply deassign the dangerous logical names.  The potentially
troublesome logicals and symbols are:

    UTIL    "LOGICAL"