At 9:16 PM +0000 2/11/07, Black, Andrew (FS ILOB Product Management) wrote:

Welcome.  Please post in plain text.

>Why does building Perl get upset if a logical UTIL is defined.

It's not upset, it's just trying to warn you about things that may
cause trouble, particularly in the Perl test suite.  The main thing
I'm aware of that can go wrong is that some Perl utilities,
particularly File::Find, tend to break down directory names into
pieces and act on them separately.  So if it were trying to set the
default directory to [.foo.util.bar], it might try to go to foo,
util, bar in succession, and if util points to somewhere else, it
could get quite lost.  I've fixed many such bugs over the years, and
others have as well, but sometimes they creep back in when I'm not
looking.  If the process from which you are running the build does
not have write access to wherever UTIL points to, nothing terribly
bad can go wrong, though some Perl tests might fail.

>The description below suggests that you can redefine it at process level but
>this doesnt help.

What do you mean "doesn't help"?  Is there a particular problem the
definition of UTIL is causing?  No amount of redefining it is going
to make the warning go away.

>I am in the postion where we have a system logical UTIL which I _can_
>undefine, but only if no one else is on the machine...

I would leave it as is (with the process-level override) unless there
is a particular problem it's causing.

Craig A. Berry
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

 difficult than getting in."