At 8:25 AM -0500 7/29/07, John E. Malmberg wrote:
>In VMS 8.3, support for symbolic links has been added to the CRTL.
>
>Unfortunately the support is broken for the unlink(), remove(), delete(), and
>probably rmdir() and rename() unless one of the Posix compliant modes is
>activated.
>
>This patch works around this issue for remove() and rmdir() by using the RMS
>erase call.
>
>The extra code in vms.c to make remove() and rmdir() behave according to  the
>UNIX security model needed modifications so that it would put the ACL on the
>symbolic link and not the link target.

I see a lot of ACL-handling code being removed, but I don't yet see
what replaces it. Do we still modify the ACL if that's what's needed
to delete a file?  In other words, are we preserving existing
behavior for cases where there is no link involved?

>Also added a logical name PERL_VMS_UNLINK_ALL_VERSIONS which allows a runtime
>setting of the feature.
>
>TODO: Add a wrapper to rename so that it will handle symbolic links correctly
>if that bug is present, and to also remove the extra versions of the file.
>
>With this patch, 107 tests now are passed or skipped in t/op/stat.t
>

>Can someone with a VMS support contract could file an official bug report
>about the CRTL?
>
>With the DECC features set to default:  remove() currently removes the
>symbolic link target, not the link as expected.  unlink() and delete() are the
>same as remove().
>
>DCL and RMS get this right, only the CRTL has it wrong.
>
>While blead perl is now patched for this case, this could affect other
>programs that discover that symlink() is actually creating links instead of
>returning ENOSYS, as it did in prior versions of the CRTL.
>
>As for the possible work around for enabling the POSIX compliant modes, until
>the restriction about logical names is removed, you may find them very hard to
>use for linking against any existing library written in C.

I think there are probably quite a few things that now need to be
sandwiched between calls to decc$feature_set.

Craig A. Berry
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

 difficult than getting in."
                 Brad Leithauser