At 12:27 AM -0500 9/14/07, John E. Malmberg wrote:
>Hello Ken,
>
>Here is another step in getting Module::Build going on VMS.

This is generally a step in the right direction in principle, but
causes the following failure on OS X:

lib/Module/Build/t/install....................................#   Failed test
at ../lib/Module/Build/t/install.t line 68.
#          got: 'Can't open file
/Users/craig/perl/t/install_test/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0/darwin-2level/auto/Simple/.packlist/:
 No such file or directory at /Users/craig/perl/t/../lib/ExtUtils/Install.pm
line 691
# '
#     expected: ''
FAILED at test 2

So it needs a bit more work (though it addresses something that's
definitely not correct as-is).

>Traditional VMS returns filenames and pathnames in lower case, so the key
>$expect to $pods->{$expect} needs to be converted to lowercase.
>
>TODO:
>However this will need to be fixed for VMS ODS-5 support as that will return
>the filename in the exact case it was created in.  Currently there is no API
>to let a module know that VMS is in this mode.

IMO all tests of the type "Is this filename the one I'm expecting?"
should be case blind on all platforms.  The default filename lookup
behavior is case blind on the default filesystem on every non-UNIX
platform Perl supports, as well as on OS X with HFS+, so unless you
are doing something intentionally non-portable, I see no reason for
these tests to be case sensitive.  There are of course lots of ways
to do it, but using C<like> instead of C<is> makes sense to me:

% perl -e 'use Test::More qw(no_plan); like (q{Foo.Dat}, qr{^(?i:foo.dat)$},
q{File matches});'
ok 1 - File matches
1..1

Craig A. Berry