From: John E. Malmberg [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 10:55 PM
To: Thomas Pfau
Cc: vmsperl
Subject: Re: VMS::Logical

Thomas Pfau wrote:
> Here's a little something I've been working on.  The interface probably
> needs some work but the code appears to work.  You can use Data::Dumper
> to get a quick feel for what it returns.  Grab it from
> http://nbpfaus.net/~pfau/perl/vms-logical-0_1.tar-gz.
>
> It looks like someone tried to do this before but from googling it
> appears it may not have ever gone anywhere.  I can't find it on CPAN.
> I'd be agreeable to renaming it VMS::LNM or something if necessary to
> avoid a namespace collision.

I was forwarded a VMS::Logical written by Forrest Cahoon,
forrest(at)wiredaemons.company a while back.

It had routines to create logical names, delete logical names.  It
claims to have routines to read them, but I could not find them.

I thought I had started modifying it to do some more, but can not find
where I had the changes.  Probably they got lost in a power failure.

We do need a logical name module, as part of the VMS PERL distribution
that can do:

1. Create / Delete logical names.
2. Create / Delete logical name tables.
3. Read logical names.

Basically the all the logical name system services.

We would probably want a simple to use API that simply returns a string
from a logical name.

-John
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Personal Opinion Only