At 7/2/2002 Tuesday 11:49 AM, Disaster Area wrote:

>I've used my Samsung I300 to Palm VNC into them and it
>works fine.

Sans, I've had good luck with a Palm IIIc hooked up to a Samsung 3500.  I
am sorry to say that Harakan Software (Chris Smith?) seems not reply to
mail sent to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>The problem I run into is when I try to
>scale the display on the Palm to a setting other then
>1:1.

It only works for me sometimes, at other times it just drops the connection.

>The Palm VNC FAQ says that the VNC server must support
>scaling extensions.

The first sentence of the PalmVNC readme.txt says,

      It is strongly recommended that you install
      both the PalmVNC client and the WinVNC-3.3.3r7
      with Scaling Extensions. If an alternative VNC
      server is used, the scaling features of PalmVNC
      will not be available.

AFAIK, there are only two ways you could be running a server with scaling
extensions compatible with PalmVNC 1.40:

First, you installed the WinVNC binary bundled with PalmVNC
1.40--WinVNC-SSS v3.3.3r7 with Server Side Scaling extensions v1.7.0.

Or, second, you downloaded the sources from Harakan Software and compiled
them for Windows.

I don't know how one takes advantage of PalmVNC" scaling when viewing
a  .*n.?x machine.

>How would I check if the VNC
>server that I've installed has scaling extensions?

Either you would know that you had (perhaps compiled and) installed them,
or, for Windows, when you choose from the WinVNC-SSS tray icon "About
WinVNC", it would say WinVNC-SSS (WinVNC version 3.3.3r7 -- Server Side
Scaling Extensions v1.7.0).

>Is this a function of Xvnc or is it part of the OS?

I believe the source (with scaling extensions) has to be compiled for X.

>Is this a VNC configuration option?

No.

Chris Johansen {[EMAIL PROTECTED]}