Does SHIFT+Alt+B work??  VNC will sometimes (always??) not send ctrl, alt
sequences, unless used in combination with SHIFT.

Glenn

-----Original Message-----
From: Don Garrett [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 12:01 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Alt Key Issue

   I don't understand why I'm having this problem, but maybe someone else
does...

   I'm running a RedHat 7.2 machine with the RPM vnc-server-3.3.3r2-18.4
from
Redhat installed. I'm using the standard windows client version 3.3.3 R3 on
Windows XP.

   When I run emacs on the linux machine, the Alt key doesn't work for
escape
sequences. Alt-b is ignored. Explicitly hitting escape b jumps back a word
(just as expected).

   My bash shells work just fine, and understand the alt key for their emacs

like editing, and emacs-nox works just fine. Running emacs on the work
station
and displaying it on an X server on my laptop also works just fine.

   I can't for the life of me figure out why this is happening. Obviously,
the
interminals are smart enough to handle something that emacs isn't, but
exactly
what? And how can I fix it for emacs?

   Thanks in advance for any help!

--
Don Garrett                             http://www.bgb.cc/garrett/
BGB Consulting                                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]