Most new machines, you can disable it in the Bios setup..

Black-box used to sell stuff like what you are talking about for
older machines, or stubborn new ones... I dont think it was as
complex as an ASIC chip, just a couple of resistors to simulate
a load.. though i could be wrong..

( btw, id call "no monitor" headless.. in case you search on line
and get only video hits.. thats why.. )