On Tue, 3 Dec 2002, William Hooper wrote:

> Doesn't VNC start the session you requested after you set the password
> (you don't need to run it a second time)?

No, you do have to run it a second time, at least with Xvnc 3.3.

> Are you sure that there isn't a server running on :10?

Yes.  Using appropriate 'ps' commands I can see all of the other vnc
processes, but there isn't one for :10.

> Have you tried to connect to it with a viewer?

Not until you suggested it (because it isn't running ;-), but I did just
try it and it responds as if there is nothing running on :10 (it does not
prompt for a password and a pop-up box says "Failed to connect to
server").

> It might be useful to look for logs and PID files in the ~/.vnc
> directory.

I had done that.  There is no log for :10.  When I try to kill :10, it
tells me it doesn't know the PID, of course, so it fails.

> Does Solaris have a "netstat -a" that can show you if a port has a
> program listening on port 5910?

Good idea.  Yes, it does.  I looked and I found nothing on 5910.

So it's still a mystery.  Thanks for your efforts.  You had some good
ideas and I really appreciate your help.

Mike

--
Michael B. Miller, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor