Mike Miller wrote:

> Here's a simple question:  Why can't VNC server and viewer just use
> established SSH protocols to communicate?  Incorporate OpenSSH code into
> the server and PuTTY (or whatever) code into the viewer.  Isn't that
> workable?

Then what happens when an exploit for OpenSSH is discovered? That's
the problem with 'incorporating' OpenSSH into VNC, you've then got
to keep that code in sync with any security fixes to OpenSSH, and
that's suddenly more of a job. Also, openssh isn't a stand-alone
package:

[root@bychan src]# rpm -qR openssh
rpmlib(VersionedDependencies) <= 3.0.3-1
initscripts >= 5.20
rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1
rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1
ld-linux.so.2
libcrypto.so.1
libc.so.6
libdl.so.2
libnsl.so.1
libutil.so.1
libz.so.1
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.0)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1.3)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.2)

Leaving aside the initscripts, ld, various libcs and libdl, that's
libcrypto (from openssl for crypto routines, natch) and libz
(zlib compression). Now libz has had a security update in the
past 12 months after a double-free problem, and openssl has also
had vulnerabilities recently. All of a sudden, VNC developers have
to keep up with three other codebases. Also, *implementing* crypto
properly, even if starting from others' code, is *damn difficult* -
and probably not something you want to be dabbling with if it's
not your forte. There are plenty of encrypting windows versions of
VNC to be had, but unless somebody's got a really good idea about
incorporating encryption in the RealVNC cross-platform codebase, I'd
rather leave it out.

--
Illtud Daniel                                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Uwch Ddadansoddwr Systemau                       Senior Systems Analyst