From: William Hooper [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 7:13 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Problem connecting with net name on Windows XP

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Bostedor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "William Hooper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 5:14 PM

>   I don't want to take this off-line because the rest of the community
will miss what I am saying and it is an important tip that could help a lot
of people out.  If for some odd reason, I'm off my rocker and I am spewing
non-sense into the list, the worst that will happen is that someone will
have one extra protocol in their list.  :)

This conversation is way OT for this list, as you your self admit that
NetBEUI isn't required by VNC.  Having an extra protocol be very annoying if
you are trying to troubleshoot other issues.

>   NetBEUI resolves names on a network by broadcasting and receiving those
broadcasts.  You are correct, NetBEUI is not directly required by VNC, but
if you wish to connect to another computer by using the name and you don't
have a DNS server and do not wish to use a hosts file, NETBEUI is for you.

NetBIOS also resolves names on a network by broadcasting:
NetBIOS Name-Resolution Basics
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodtechn
ol/winxppro/reskit/prjj_ipa_jhzw.asp
(watch for URL wrapping)

>   It appears that you are confusing the role of NETBIOS with NETBEUI.  You
mentioned that NETBEUI is on another transport than TCP/IP but in fact,
NETBIOS is the transport layer protocol and NETBEUI is at the network
layer.  NetBIOS is concerned with setting up sessions and transporting the
data.  NETBEUI is concerned with things like name resolution and network
mapping.

I believe you are confusing NetBIOS and NetBEUI.  NetBIOS (Network Basic
Input/Output System) is run over a transport protocol (ie. TCP/IP or IPX).
NetBEUI (NetBIOS Extended User Interface) provides NetBIOS over it's own
transport protocol.

>   Microsoft is dropping NETBEUI in order to push everybody to their Active
Directory.  It still works great for home LAN's as a quick and dirty name
resolution protocol.  I do have direct experience mixing Win9x and XP and
properly configured NETBEUI is, in fact, required for them to see each
other.  There is a knowledge base article on it, but I don't have time to go
dig it up right now.  I hope that everybody understands why I suggest to
install NETBEUI, now.
> - Steve Bostedor
> http://www.vncscan.com

Microsoft is dropping NetBEUI because it is a non-routable, non-scalable
hack.  NetBEUI is no more required in a mixed Win9x/WinXP environment than
it is in a mixed Win9x/WinNT environment.  Oh, and the original poster
didn't have a mixed environment, it was two WinXP machines.  I would be very
interested in seeing this knowledge base article, because a number of people
disagree with you.  Some examples:
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/addxp.htm
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=uhH0oe%23aCHA.4200%4
0tkmsftngp08 (Again URL wrap)

I have personally never installed NetBEUI on WinXP (or needed it on Win9x,
WinNT, or Win2k other than for compatibility with an old DOS client that
only ran NetBEUI).  NetBEUI is a crutch that will come back to haunt you
when a) you decided to use an operating system that Microsoft didn't produce
or b) you decided to upgrade to whatever the next Windows version is and
NetBEUI is gone.

--
William Hooper

Some people are only alive because it is illegal to kill