Hello Paul.

Yes, you can connect to a pc remote (with vnc) and then connect from the
remote pc connect to another (also via vnc).  This does work, and
usually very well.

Since usually you connect via a slow network connection to first pc, and
then with a fast connection to the second.  Which is your case.

The problem you are having most probably does not have anything to do
with VNC. Are you using a VPN to connect to the first pc?  Can you ping
the second pc when you rea remotetly connecte to the first?

Jerry