From: "Mark Lent" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: New to VNC and need help...
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 15:07:54 -0600

Hi all,

Of course I need help, why would I be writing otherwise, huh?

Let me explain my situation:

I've been away from networking for some time now- last server I worked on
was a WinNT and now, I've been sortof thrown into a project with Server
2003.

I'm using Server 2003 with 2 locations- across town from each other. Both
locations have a DSL connection and a static IP address at each. Both are
using little 5 port D-Link routers (They are I-601 models, I believe). I
also have VNC set up at my home and am using this to test the other two
connections.

With the two stores, I can VNC out, but not in. At my home, I can VNC either
in or out... So, I can see other desktops, but others can not VNC into the
machine at either store that's set up for the connection. I keep getting a
"Server can not be found" error message.

Now, to me, the problem seems to be centered around a firewall issue with
Server 2003 (Forgot to mention that we took the router out and went directly
from the Westell modem to the server... Same thing is happening, so I am
assuming that it's a server issue).

So, my question to all of you nice, smart people out in VNC land is this: on
Server 2003, what am I overlooking in the firewall that could hinder an IP
connection for the VNC from the outside world?

Thank you one and all for your feedback.

Cordially,

Mark Lent