Hello!

Thank you very much for your response. I will investiage console.perms, but I guess I will, rather, have to find a way to give the user those permissions *outside* of console.perms.

However, I greatly appreciate the information. I will search further.

Tim Massey

Original Message from "William Hooper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Timothy J. Massey  said:
> Hello!
>
> I am relatively new to VNC on Linux, though I have been using it for
> some time on Windows.  I'm building a MP3 player in a Mini-ITX computer
> for my living room.  It uses Linux and VNC to run XMMS and play MP3's
> through the host's sound card.  This works, but only if the VNC user is
> *also* logged into the computer locally.
>
> Why is this?  Why can't a VNC user access the sound card without having
> the same user logged in locally?

This isn't a VNC issue, it's a permissions issue.

> I have tested this on Redhat 9 and Fedora Core 1: same results.

You want to check out:

man 5 console.perms

By default Red Hat (an probably other distros, but I'm not sure) is set to
give the user logging into the console certain permissions to devices,
then revert back to a default when the user logs out.  These default
settings can be changed in the /etc/security/console.perms file.

--
William Hooper