David Hagood wrote:

> I've tried the vnc.so plugin for XFree86 (which is supposed to allow for
> exporting of the main :0 window), and it doesn't seem to work - it seems to
> crash the X server when a client connects.
>
> I've tried this under 2 setups: one a Gentoo box running XFree86 4.3.0,
> Xinerama, on an ATI Rage128 and Geforce GeForce2 - nForce GPU, and the other a
> DRI CVS trunk build of XFree86 running on an ATI 7500 AIW.
>
> In both cases X locks hard when a client connects to the VNC server.
>
> Has anybody had any positive experiences with this module.

I've had a very similar experience.  I loaded the vnc.so module and
immediately after attaching a viewer the machine locked up hard.  It
didn't respond to console input (Ctl-Alt-Backspace) or network traffic
(ping, ssh).

The system is Redhat 9 with a Radeon 7000 card:

According to lspci:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon VE QY (prog-if 00 [VGA])
        Subsystem: PC Partner Limited RV100 QY [Sapphire Radeon VE 7000]
        Flags: bus master, stepping, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 5
        Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
        I/O ports at 9000 [size=256]
        Memory at ec020000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
        Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled] [size=128K]
        Capabilities: <available only to root>

[EMAIL PROTECTED] log]$ rpm -q XFree86
XFree86-4.3.0-2

[EMAIL PROTECTED] log]$ rpm -q vnc
vnc-4.0-0b4

Is there any other information I could provide that would help to
diagnose this?

Should I go out and buy another video card?

Thanks,
John Salmon