OK, I've downloaded the NIS 2004 evaluation version.  And here're the steps
and remarks I've got throughout the whole testing.

        In a new machine, I installed VNC before NIS.  After that, I tried to install
NIS but I had to stop and install IE6 SP1 before because NIS 2004 needs it!  Then NIS
installed Windows Installer.  On reboot, NIS continues to install again.

        During the install, I only use typical choice.  Gee!  It installs NAV.  I've
got McAfee already installed.  And the installation keeps on generating errors (no
less than 15 times)!  What a good product!  Then on reboot, there're some configs
..... no idea what it's doing .....

        Reboot again, and I started VNC viewer from another PC, and on the NIC+VNC
server computer, I get a dialog "What do you want to do?"  I answered Permit with
"Always use this action" enabled.

        To make sure, I open NIS, click on "Personal Firewall" > "Configure" button on
the right > "Programs" tab > I check that WinVNC.exe is inside the list of "Manual
Program Control".
It has Internet Access = Permit All; Category = General

        And to make security even tighter, I click the Modify button for WinVNC:
*I chose "Manually configure Internet access" for the first page;
*"modify" button again for the "Program rules";
*Connections tab: I chose " connections *from* other computers";
*Computers tab: "Only the computers and sites listed below" (you have to know how to
supply correct network address and mask)
*Communications: TCP + "Only the types of communication ....." in which I chose
"Individual specified ports" and 5900

        Well, with all these almost paranoid settings, I still could get to the VNC
server.  I don't know what else I could say to you.  Maybe you could delete your vnc
entries first, and do like me, start VNC viewer from another PC and let NIS pops up
dialog to wait for your choice.