Ying:
        Heya. Most likely, your work PC is on a LAN that is
protected from Internet connections with a good firewall. If
so, you won't be able to ping it or VNC to it (but neither
will the "bad guys"...and that's a good thing).
        The easiest way to get VNC working in such a case is
to ask your sys-admin at work to help set it up for you. They
probably have really good reasons for restricting remote-access
with VNC directly, but they might already have setup a VPN
service you can connect with. Once VPN'd, you can run VNC over
that connection.

cheers,
Scott