I'm having problems using the number keypad.  (Compiled under Gentoo
Linux).  The X server is X.org (6.7).  The behavior is as follows:

On the console, the behavior of the NumLock button behaves normally for
the command line and all applications (such as xcalc, openoffice, emacs,
nano, etc.)

When using VNC to remote the console (vnc.so), or using a regular
vncserver session, the numlock key continues to function normally on the
command line and on Openoffice.  However, the keypad does not work for
Emacs, Nano, or other applications (such as notepad.exe under wine, for
example).

I would assume that since it works on the console, but not under VNC, that
something is needs to be modified to make it work with VNC.  Is there a
workaround for this?  I tried using the numlockx package that will turn
numlock on and off under X.  However, then the all the numbers on the
keypad would work (except for "5") as long as my numlock button was off.

Could someone help me out with this?

I did a search on the list and found information about numlock.  It said
that it was disabled in VNC.  However, I would assume that was the VNC
version 3.x.x.