I found a Gentoo-forum question that solved my problem.  It says that VNC
does not set the numeric keypad for use.  A keyboard mapping for the
numeric keypad is given in the article.  For those interested, follow the
link at

<a
href="http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=47846";>http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=47846</a>

-Scott