Michael,

If you are running the server on port 7900 then you'll need to specify
something like <machine>::7900 in the Connection Details dialog.

Also be aware that the server tells the Java Viewer which port it is serving
VNC on, so if you have set your router to forward a port different to the
one that the server is using then the Java Viewer won't work.  E.g. if you
had simply told the router to forward port 7900 -> <machine>::5900 then the
Java viewer will be told to connect back on port 5900 and will fail!

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd.