Need some clarifications regarding VPN.

Scenario:

Assuming I am the one of the administrator of the local area network in our
office. We have VPN setup in our office to make users connect to the internal
network remotely when they are out of the office. With the VPN connection they
can all access network resources in my office LAN remotely (shared files,
printers, all resources which they are permitted using their access/permission
rights, etc).

My Question:

When they are connected to the VPN, assuming I'm the Administrator of the LAN,
is it possible to use the REMOTE COMPUTER resources connected to our VPN? It's
like when the remote computer is connected and being virtually present inside
the LAN then it should be possible also for me (INSIDE the LAN) to see his
computer and use the shared files in his computer.

The reason I ask this question is I want to remotely control the roaming
computers when they are connected to the VPN. Since they already established a
remote connection I should be able to initiate a connection also in reverse.
But what will be his IP address or the "VPN identification" is using during the
communication to address the request from-and-to the remote sites. Is this
possible to use VNC under our VPN to remote computers even if they are under a
broadband connection or inside a firewalled lan? What are the things to put in
considerations? What could be possible problems I will encounter for
unsuccessful connection?

This is a shot in the dark, im not that techie specifically regarding VPN.

Thanks in advanced.