Thanks William.
 I see (now I found the Google key F8 with VNC) that that's a regular
question
and could be considered as  answered in the FAQ
"Q31 I have troubles sending Ctrl-Alt-Del to a Windows server FAQ "
in the RealVNC FAQ list. Trouble was, I perceived it as a Java problem as I
had no trouble with
the Windows version of the viewer as the option was easily found.
 Maybe add this crucial info to
http://www.uk.research.att.com/archive/vnc/javavncviewer.html

Under Windows,
Is Java applet window capability so limited that VNC can't add those options
to the top left (Alt-space) ?
Menu item as in the standard VNCviewer (where I'd been happily using it)
..or at least add some descriptive text to the "about-like" browser display
?

cheers, Mark