just to add  in another 2 cents here.

If all this "port forward" stuff sounds a little strange check out
www.portforward.com  they have walkthroughs on how to set up a port
forward on most any kind of home router/firewall device.  Remember
this the one you want to be able to control (the server) should set up
its router to have a portforward for TCP port 5900.

--Angelo