On further investigation, it turns out I already had a service called
"vnc" running on 5950 - obviously, I started working on this before and
forgot about it :)

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Collins, Kevin (MindWorks) [Contractor]
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2005 7:49 AM
To: Stephen Hinton
Cc: vnc-list@realvnc.com
Subject: RE: Newbie server Question

Ok - I have been thinking about setting up "on demand" VNC for a while
and yesterday I started working on it after replying to your email. So
far I do not have it working all the way - I am seeing a black screen
with a big X and never get to the XDMCP login screen.

However, I did make past where you are, but I also used a couple of
different online docs. In my case, when restarting xinetd I see this
message in /var/log/messages:

Mar 29 15:03:21 cpafisxw xinetd[592]: bind failed (Address already in
use (errno = 98)). service = vnc-640x480x8

Which in my case is port 5950...

Try restarting/reloading xinetd and see if you have a similar message
for 5951. I have tried using lsof to identify what is using that port
and found nothing, but each time I restart xinetd I see the same error.

If anyone has tips for resolving the "black screen with X" problem, I'm
all ears. I did not need to change any GDM settings because the machine
in question already supports XDMCP logins from any server.

Kevin