From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Stephen Hinton
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2005 12:09 PM
To: vnc-list@realvnc.com
Subject: Root GUI access?

I have got VNC running as an on-demand service.  I can log in
successfully and get a desktop.  However,  When I try to open any
screen that requires root authority I get teh prompt for the root
password, put that password in, and then the screen never loads.

Again,  This it probably more of a linux problem than a VNC problem.
I can't figure it out however, and I'd guess someone else has had this
issue.

Using Fedora, with a KDE desktop, but a GDM login manager.  XDMCP is
enabled (otherwise i couldnt get the login screen) and root remote
login is enabled in GDM

The end game is to be able to administer entirely by remote, but still
have the nice GUI tools to work with.

Just a note for those who are hemoraghing over my desire to log in as
root via an 'unprotected' VNC session, I am running it through an SSH
tunnel.