Kevin Cheng wrote:
VNC List:

I am having some trouble setting up my RealVNC on some computers
behind my Linksys WRT54G wireless router.  I have a basic
understanding of how everything works, but I'm getting tangled up in
the port forwarding and DHCP stuff.

Here is the main problem:

On my server desktop, I am running VNC Server along with DynDNS
Updater so I can keep up with the dynamic Comcast High-Speed IP
address.  Therefore, when I type in xxx.dyndns.org, I should be able
to access my computer.  Here is the problem however:  Sometimes when I
restart the desktop with VNC server, the IP address will change
(192.168.1.102 to 192.168.1.106).  When it switches IPs, 106 does not
have port forwarding on and I can no longer access it.  Because I am
still running testing, I simply open up port 5900 on 192.168.1.106 and
the xxx.dyndns.org address will work out fine.  Attempting to access
it via the actual IP address (192.168.1.106) works fabulously.  I just
can't seem to figure out how to keep up with the DHCP giving me new
IPs.  (Keep in mind, the above testing deals with all LAN-side
testing.)

I have tried setting a static IP, but I don't know the DNS
information, so I think that contributed to my loss of Internet.  What
other options are there?

Thanks!

Kevin Cheng/[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Kevin,

on the router side, you might be able to tune the maximum time an ip
address is affected by the dhcp server. On my router, it is defaulted to
30 minutes, this means when switching on my computer one day after
having switched it off, I can't be sure about its next IP address. I
have changed that to 15 days, so I'm nearly sure I always have the same
address :)

However, turning the IP address to static should get a could results.
Assuming your router is also a modem, you may be able to do what you
want : your router may be able to act as a DNS server, therefore, you
can put it as primary DNS. However, if its not capable of doing this, it
should give you the DNS ip address it uses when connecting to the
internet. Read your router manual for more help on all these.

Hope this helps,
Regards

Yann Renard