I have had VNC running on multiple networks for years. In XP you have three options for the Systray Icons; Always Hide, Hide When Inactive, & Always Show. A few of the computers usually get Always Show selected, then all the regular workstations have Always Hide selected.

On one particular network, no matter how many times I reinstall VNC4, the Systray View Options always get reset to "Hide When Inactive" after a reboot. What makes the situation even more puzzling is that when you go back into the Task Bar Properties in XP, you see the icon and in normal circumstances it will say "VNC Server; Service (192.168.X.X). On this network next to the VNC icon in the System Properties it will commonly say "No-Title."

I'm usually a pretty good troubleshooter, but this one is driving me nuts. Any suggestions?