Paul ROBINS wrote:

Hello,

I'm new here. Sorry if the answer to my questions exist somewhere in the archives - I did search but couldn't find anything. Sorry this is a bit long, I wanted to explain what I need as clearly as possible:

I have an intranet web server that allows our users to browse a hierarchy of data files which represent graphs. On selecting a data file the server runs a kind of cgi executable that transforms the file into a graph image and serves it up in an html page. The executable is ours and unfortunately cannot run without an X display to generate a pixmap, which is where VNC comes in very handy :)

I'm currently just testing the whole thing using a single VNC server on the webserver for all requests and it works - but what I want to avoid is "graphical collisions" on the VNC server's display when making the images, i.e. one users pixmap obscuring anothers. So ideally I'd like to create a VNC server per user session. I'm using PHP sessions by the way attribute session ids.

The problem I have is knowing when a particular VNC display is no longer needed. I know when a user initially connects and requests an image so I could at that point create a VNC server and register that display as belonging to the session. The user would continue to generate images on "his/her" server/display as long as their session was open. As I said though I don't really know when the session ends so I'd end up with an awful lot of inactive VNC servers running after a short time :(

I could use inetd to run VNC, but that would bring up a server per image request, which seems like a lot of stopping/starting to me ;) and I guess would be slower. (a user may look at many tens of graphs per session).

What I'd really like to do is have a users VNC server die quietly after a defined period of inactivity but I can't find any option to do this. I know this goes against the usual idea of keeping a VNC server alive but for this kind of usage it would be a really handy!

This sure is a nice (ab) use of  Xvnc!

If a sinlge user can use one Xvnc session, you can start an Xvnc for each user or for each session. Your session IDs can be the $DISPLAY values, however, best to keep the numbers below 64 or even 32 since the display number relates to 2 or 3 ports: 6000, 5900 (and optionally 5800) with added the display nummer.

ON the other hand, a different setup can be the use of the java-viewer: Then the user gets the X display in the browser and in there the display of the graphs. This nicely controlls the session however, be sure to start the java-viewer readonly (if possible).

Success,

CBee