On Wednesday 24 January 2007 20:39, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> hello Mick
>
> Port below 1024: I read somewhere that some providers, at least in France,
> tend to squeeze ports above 1024 for traffic control reasons, thus I tried
> doing so to avoid being sqeezed.

All your internet applications open ports above 1024 when they connect to the
Internet.  Run cmd.exe and then try netstat -ano to see that your request to
any web server on say port 80, will cause a response from the server's IP
address on a typically high port number at your PC.  Squeezing traffic at any
ports may happen for two legitimate reasons:  a)Your ISP is trying to contain
the uncontrolled spread of some new trojan, which uses a particular port and
might have just gone wild on a large number of compromised Windows machines.
Essentially, they may want to avoid a DoS attack on their network by their
own users.  b)The contention ratio is too high at certain times of the day.
The more people are trying to squeeze packets down the pipe the slower the
connection for all of them becomes.

I guess if your problem is related to traffic shaping by your ISP then the
remote session will become sluggish/jerky and eventually die.

> Question: how does this relate with your remark about open ports and admin
> rights?

As a plain user you shouldn't be able to open "privileged" ports below 1024 at
will.  You need to either run the application in question as a system
service, or elevate your login to that of an Administrator (root).  Also,
there is a possibility that the port you are trying to use is already being
used by another service.  I would try and replicate the problem using the
default VNC ports - just to be sure.

> Restart every hour:
> - I left this VNC Server option named "Disconnect idle clients after" =
> 3600 seconds
> - for some reason, I never saw a Client disconnected after this delay but I
> keep trusting it
> - taking into account the 10053 type incidents I have, the reconnect every
> hour is pretty useful for the time being
>
> Multiple connections to the server: it almost never happen that I have two
> connections to the other PC current, but this works when it happens

Sorry, you lost me here.  What do you mean?

> I am still trying to understand what can make these 10053 disconnections
> happen.

Could it have to do something with your router renewing the dhcp address of
the particular client/server and therefore dropping the existing connection?
I am thinking it might be a network issue, or if random it may even be a
hardware problem (faulty network cable/connector, or WiFi adaptor).

> Thank you for your kind help.

You're welcome (although I am not sure I have actually helped...)

> Also, would anyone believe that I would get a solution by moving to VNC
> Personnal edition and benefiting from the VNC support center?

I have not used the VNC support center to know if its worth the money, but my
humble view is that if some person(s) are spending their precious time to
make an application work better and you are benefiting from it, then you
should try and reward them proportionately to the benefit you derive from
their efforts.  In some cases this may involve a donation or paying for their
software (with or without support).

Just my 2c's.
Mick