Jcn50,

Now that you have access to the system again, can you check the VNC Server's
"Connections: closed" log events corresponding to the failed connections, to
find out what was preventing connections from working?  If the system had
something else hogging the CPU at higher priority than winvnc4.exe, I'd
expect some sort of write timeout error, but it would be interesting to
check, since the problem may actually have been much lower-level.

As a general rule, winvnc4.exe runs at the Normal priority and this is fine
even if something else starts using lots of CPU at that priority, because
the two processes will then get half of the available CPU cycles each, in
principle.  The fact that this isn't what you were seeing suggests that it
was something else, like a virus scanner or some other high-priority
process, that had gone rogue.

You don't really want to run your VNC Server at a higher priority - if you
do that then it takes priority over the programs you're using it to access,
which almost certainly isn't what you want.  What you actually want is for
VNC Server to be guaranteed up to, say, 20% of the available CPU cycles, if
it wants them, so that it never gets starved of CPU and never starves any
other processes.  Unfortunately, this isn't an arrangement that Windows
provides any in-built support for.

Cheers,

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd.