Dear James Weatherall,

> Now that you have access to the system again, can you check the VNC
> Server's
> "Connections: closed" log events corresponding to the failed connections,
> find out what was preventing connections from working?  If the system had
> something else hogging the CPU at higher priority than winvnc4.exe, I'd
> expect some sort of write timeout error, but it would be interesting to
> check, since the problem may actually have been much lower-level.

I have this in the log events, plenty of these:
- Connections: accepted >> thus giving me the password prompt
- Connections: closed (GetDC failed: Operation successful (0))

I don't know why the "Operation successful" appears(??)...since I got
"server closed connection unexpectedly" from the VNC Viewer. No timeout
event.

What is your diagnostic?...

> As a general rule, winvnc4.exe runs at the Normal priority and this is
> fine
> even if something else starts using lots of CPU at that priority, because
> the two processes will then get half of the available CPU cycles each, in
> principle.  The fact that this isn't what you were seeing suggests that it
> was something else, like a virus scanner or some other high-priority
> process, that had gone rogue.

Maybe it could be a virtual memory failure: 900 MB was remaining on the
disk, I cleaned it up. But it wouldn't bring the "GetDC failed" event,
would it?
Sometimes I noticed that Windows has sockets' problems: can't attribute
new socket. But this problem is irrelevant here since the other services
on the machine were working fine.

> You don't really want to run your VNC Server at a higher priority - if you
> do that then it takes priority over the programs you're using it to
> access,
> which almost certainly isn't what you want.  What you actually want is for
> VNC Server to be guaranteed up to, say, 20% of the available CPU cycles,
> if
> it wants them, so that it never gets starved of CPU and never starves any
> other processes.  Unfortunately, this isn't an arrangement that Windows
> provides any in-built support for.

I guess I want something....that doesn't fail (^0^)...
More seriously: if a software is hanging on the system, I'd better kill
the process than let it jeopardizing the machine. I guess a higher
priority could be helpful.

jcn50.