I found the solution. I needed to backout the following patches.

112807-18
112661-11
112785-58

The first two depend upon the last one, which was the culprit. Patch 112785-58 includes a broken X font server, which would crash. inetd would occasionally kill the fs.auto service and then restart it after a pause, which was why the problem would come and go.

As to why this was making Xvnc return BadAtom errors, who knows....

Steve