I've been pulling my hair out over this for a couple of weeks, maybe
the list can be some help.

We switched over to laptops with a docking station from desktop
systems at work.  I could use VNCViewer from my desktop just fine, but
I can't get a connection on the laptop.  I am using the same physical
wire to connect, and am logging on to the same domain with the same
user name.  The software installed on both machines is similar but the
laptop has some VPN software (Contivity) installed that I don't use
and isn't running under ordinary circumstances.

I can also attempt to connect from a browser, and the applet loads and
runs fine.  When asked to connect, it times out.

I have spoken to one of the network admins and he says that they don't
block anything, they just prevent some web sites from being accessed,
and that there is no reason why it shouldn't work, and assured me I
wasn't trying to circumvent some security measure.

I also can't connect to any FTP servers from the laptop.  In testing,
I set up a quickie web server on my home machine and was able to get
to it just fine, so it looks like something is doing some selective
filtering.

Windows firewall is using domain controls, but not blocking anything,
and the configuration looks the same as the desktop (which works).

I've started running out of options, are there any suggestions to help
me diagnose this problem more fully and determine exactly where/what
is blocking VNC?  For a limited time I'll have both systems available
so I could do some comparisons if I only knew what to look for.
----
You've got to be digging it while it's happening 'cause it just might be a one
shot deal.  -- F. Zappa