Beau,

If you want to show your "real" desktop on a Linux system via VNC, you
need to run x0vnc4server rather than vnc4server.  The vnc4server program
initiates a new X session, so you get an additional session to the one a
user sitting at the machine will see.  x0vnc4server shares the current X
session via VNC.  You can still use the same http/www/java connection,
as all this does is make a VNC viewer availiable via http.  When you get
the connection dialog from the java app, make sure you have :0 rather
than :1 , :2 ... at the end (or no :number).

HTH,

Stewart [NutmeG] Becker