handle (no VMWare and a running linux system necessary). I'll
give it a try!

Best, Dieter

On 28 Jan 2009 at 8:15, Wymann Lukas (W3L) wrote:

From:                   "Wymann Lukas (W3L)"
<lukas.wym...@suva.ch>
To:                     "dieter.bl...@univie.ac.at"
<dieter.bl...@univie.ac.at>,
        "VNC-List@realvnc.com" <VNC-
l...@realvnc.com>
Date sent:              Wed, 28 Jan 2009 08:15:15 +0100
Subject:                AW: restrict access to server to a non-
resolved address

> Hi
>
> Why don't you "create" an ssh-tunnel from the user to your system and have
vnc "travelling" inside this tunnel?
> You can use for this the public-private-key authentication to establish that
tunnel and in addition to that, you have the vnc traffic secured within that
tunnel. So you wouldn't depend on how to restrict a user coming from a dynamic
ip-address, since that user is already authenticated through ssh.
> Tools to do this?! : copssh from a windows client to establish tunnel,
vnc-viewer connects to localhost:5900 (for example)
> Just an idea.
>
> Best regards
>
> Lukas
>
> Suva
> Abteilung Informatik
> Bereich System-Services
> Lukas Wymann
> Systemspezialist
> Postfach 4358
> Rvsslimattstrasse 39
> 6002 Luzern
>

> Tel: 041 419 6478
> mailto: lukas.wym...@suva.ch
> http://www.suva.ch
>
> -----Urspr|ngliche Nachricht-----
Auftrag von Dieter Blaas
> Gesendet: Dienstag, 27. Januar 2009 19:19
> An: VNC-List@realvnc.com
> Betreff: restrict access to server to a non-resolved address
>
> Hi,
>    I already posted a similar question some time ago but the answers showed
me that I was misunderstood. So, I am trying
> again:
>
> I want to restrict, on the server side, access to a single user.
> This user has a dynamic IP, which, by using dyndn.org, translates into
xyz.dyndns.org. I know how to restict assess to a normal IP address but if I
enter (in the server's setup dialog) an address like xyz.dyndns.org (instead
of e.g.
> 120.231.139.12) it does not accept it. Is there any way of doing this?
>    To be even more clear: I want that user xyz.dynds.org can access the
server regardless which real IP it has at a given time. Maybe the free version
cannot but presonal or enterprise can?
> Thanks a lot for hints, Dieter
> Dieter Blaas,
> Max F. Perutz Laboratories
> Medical University of Vienna,
> Inst. Med. Biochem., Vienna Biocenter (VBC), Dr. Bohr Gasse 9/3, A-1030
Vienna, Austria,
> Tel: 0043 1 4277 61630,
> Fax: 0043 1 4277 9616,
> e-mail: dieter.bl...@meduniwien.ac.at
>
> Disclaimer:
>
> Diese Nachricht und ihr eventuell angehdngte Dateien sind nur f|r den
Adressaten bestimmt. Sie kann vertrauliche oder gesetzlich gesch|tzte Daten
oder Informationen beinhalten. Falls Sie diese Nachricht irrt|mlich erreicht
hat, bitten wir Sie hvflich, diese unter Ausschluss jeglicher Reproduktion zu
lvschen und die absendende Person zu benachrichtigen. Danke f|r Ihre Hilfe.

> This message and any attached files are for the sole use of the recipient
named above. It may contain confidential or legally protected data or
information. If you have received this message in error, please delete it
without making any copies whatsoever and notify the sender. Thank you for your
assistance.