-----Original Message-----
From: vnc-list-ad...@realvnc.com [mailto:vnc-list-ad...@realvnc.com] On
Behalf Of Balazs
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 11:05 AM
To: vnc-list@realvnc.com
Subject: RE: Xvnc + XDMCP

Is there a more appropriate list to address this question to?

Thanks.

B.

> From: sbre...@hotmail.com
> To: vnc-list@realvnc.com
> Subject: Xvnc + XDMCP
> Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 06:32:27 +0000
>
> Hi All,
>
> Is there anyone who managed recently to start Xvnc with XDMCP on
FreeBSD?

> I have been struggling with this for a few days already. After
switching xdm
> to debug mode, I noticed that Xvnc does not contact xdm at all! Then
obviuosly
> only the grey screen opens with the mouse cursor, no loging window.
>
> Xvnc seems to completely ignore the "-query localhost" argument, why?
> (Starting X with "-query localhost" works fine, I can see the XDMCP
messages
> exchanged with xdm.)
>
> Any idea?
>
> (Just upgraded to vnc-4.1.3_1 but no avail.)
>
> Cheers,
> Balazs

Balazs:

Well, this may not be the right forum, since it's an X question, but
we're all here to help one another; I'm no X whiz, but here's my
guess ...

Is your FreeBSD machine running as an X display being managed by XDMCP?

IIRC, this protocol implies that the machine on which xdm is running is
the X server, usually running with very limited resources.  I believe
that many, if not most, of the programs that run on an xdm-managed X
server reside elsewhere; that's why they came up with a different
protocol.  This is not to say that U couldn't do it by running xdm
instead of a full-blown server (which is what Xvnc is), but what U
want to do is run the viewer application (xvncviewer), not the server,
and connect back to your xdm-managed X server.

HTH and isn't too far off the mark (like I said, I'm no X guru!).

Goss ... Innovation for Business

NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachment(s) may contain confidential and
proprietary information of Goss International Corporation and/or its
subsidiaries and may be legally privileged. This e-mail is intended solely for
the addressee. If you are not the addressee, dissemination, copying or other
use of this e-mail or any of its content is strictly prohibited and may be
unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient please inform the sender
immediately and destroy the e-mail and any copies. All liability for viruses
is excluded to the fullest extent permitted by law. Any views expressed in
this message are those of the individual sender. No contract may be construed
by this e-mail.