Thanks for your answer. You're right, the BSD machine has a local istallation
of XDM, X11 and VNC. I am a happy user :) of Symbian on E90, for which the VNC
viewer got ported (unfortunately no X server port yet), so I can have full
access to my home server over 3G phone even from the office with strict
firewall.

As far as I understood when Xvnc (or the vncserver wrapper) is started, an X
server and a VNC server is started in the same process. Then this Xvnc process
should contact the local XDM for the login window ("-query localhost"
argument), which does not happen. Xvnc does not even try to send the XDMCP
query packet to XDM. XDM is running fine.

Could the FreeBSD port of VNC be the problem?

Just spent too many hours to give up now... The workaround now is to (1) log
in to the server with Putty, (2) start the Xvnc manually, (3) exit from Putty,
(4) start the VNC viewer on the phone. Ideally (1), (2) and (3) could be saved
if the login would be handled by Xvnc through XDM (and Xvnc started from
inetd).

Cheers,
Balazs