Peter,

It sounds like the machine is actually powering down the display hardware, in
which case VNC cannot pull pixel data back from it.  The latest VNC Enterprise
& Personal Edition servers include code to explicitly request that display
hardware be powered back on, so you might try using one of those as the server
to determine whether it addresses the problem you're seeing.

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd