James:

Thanks for your reply...

For now, I've put the screensaver setting back where it's been all
along... until last week when I started having problems.  I'm assuming
it's 'fixed' now.

I switched to the 'Blank' screen thinking it might be easier on the
display and easier on my Dad... it seems both were false premises.

I guess most modern CRTs don't get 'burn in' anyway and Dad found it
confusing that the computer was on but the screen was dark.

I guess I tried to fix something that wasn't broke.

Peter B.

-----