On Fri, 27 Mar 2009, Hao Yu wrote:

We can use "ctrl + alt + left/right/up/down arrow" on Linux to switch
workspace rapidly, which is very useful to some guys. But after entering VNC
"full screen" mode, these key maps no longer take effect but captured by VNC
itself, unless we give up the full screen mode by typeing F8 first then move
the cursor to unselect "FullScreen". When I come back to the workspace of
VNC, I have to repeat the same steps. This make me quite frustrating: due to
a low screen resolution (1024 x 768) of laptop, I have to switch among
different workspaces frequently. Is there any body have a suggestion for
this? Thanks vey much!

Ubuntu 8.10 on ThinkPad X61S
xvnc4viewer
The VNC server runs on a Redhat with KDE 3.1

It would be nice if you could direct those keystrokes elsewhere. Another thing that would be nice is if the Free version of the viewer for Linux allowed use of "F8 f" (F8 key followed by f key) instead of forcing a mouse click. The Windows version does not force a mouse click and accepts the f key. You can download the non-free Enterprise viewer and use it, and that gives you "F8 f" functionality, but it's not free as in freedom and it's also a much larger binary, probably because it is packed with features that won't work with the free version of vnc server.

I don't know who's managing the code these days for the free version of the viewer, but it shouldn't be hard to add the "F8 f" functionality, possibly (I don't really know though!).

Mike