Do we know anything about how to deal with this problem?  It applies at
least to Xvnc on Ubuntu:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-settings-daemon/+bug/344060

"This bug happens in VNC environment. The VNC server package is
vnc4server. The theme is never right under the vnc server.
Gnome-settings-daemon crashes randomly."

This is the kind of thing I see when launching X-based programs from the
bash command line:

$ gedit .bashrc
Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display ":1.0".
Xlib:  extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display ":1.0".
Xlib:  extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display ":1.0".
Xlib:  extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display ":1.0".

Sometimes those four lines are repeated as many as 4 times each (16 lines
total).  It's pretty annoying.  Gnome running on :0.0 doesn't seem to give
me the error (warning?) messages.

In case it matters, this is what my ~/.vnc/xstartup looks like:

#!/bin/sh
xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid gray
vncconfig -nowin &