Hello Adam, Phil,

> It would be nice to standardize this with however TightVNC is
> handling it; let's discuss with Constantin.
>
> #define rfbExplicitDisconnect    0x51

Unfortunately, this will not work in TightVNC, because simply adding a
new message would break RFB protocol compatibility.

In TightVNC, there is a mechanism allowing to register new protocol
messages in 100% compatible way (via "capabilities"). When both sides of
the connection (server and viewer) support TightVNC protocol extensions,
the server tells the client which extended messages it supports. This
allows client and server negotiate their capabilities and use only those
messages that are guaranteed to be supported by the other side.

We plan to implement the message similar to rfbExplicitDisconnect via
capabilities mechanism so that the server would send it only when it
knows this message can be used by the client. And we use 4-byte message
codes in TightVNC for non-standard messages (where the first byte is
always the same and is registered in the standard RFB protocol
specification).

If you are interested to make the message TightVNC-compatible, we will
be glad to cooperate, but we are interested only in solutions that would
work via capabilities and thus would not break compatibility with
standard RFB clients and servers.

--
Best Regards,
Constantin