I do not think the fact that S/S poses the problem you raise is an accident.
Nor do I think that the lopsided consequences of most other solutions
enthusiastically supported by incumbents and large industry actors are an
accident. Think CALEA.

—
Sent from mobile, with due apologies for brevity and errors.