Posted by Eugene Volokh:
Monolingualism:

   [1]Scott Martens (Fistful of Euros) criticizes Dan Pipes, arguing that
   he misrepresents certain French-language writings by Tariq Ramadan. In
   passing, he also mentions:

     Monolingualism has costs. Eugene Volokh, for example, has posted a
     link to Pipes' piece but says that he does not know the facts of
     the case well enough to judge. Ted over at Crooked Timber makes the
     same claim to uncertainty. But, a cursory look at the French
     articles cited makes Pipes' case worse than contestable . . . .
     Never underestimate the value of knowing a foreign language. . . .

   I'm all for knowing foreign languages, and I wish I knew more. But I
   should point out that failure to know French doesn't necessarily
   constitute "monolingualism" . . . .